Sunday, February 28, 2016

Captain and Bucky!

Finished a very cool Retro Captain America, and his sidekick Bucky for my latest addition to my Invaders Project.


 I plan on having multiple versions of Cap and really dig this one.  He's just a shade shorter than some of the other versions I have, but he still has that early Captain look that they captured in the movie.

I like the idea of Captain having many adventures in WW II, from solo missions, to small commando tactics with both the Howling Commandos and alternatively the Invaders.

Being a war hero is what eventually turned him into a Super hero and it's a rich area to explore.

James 'Bucky' Buchanan, Cap's stalwart sidekick had been with him since the early days.  I like to think of the 'Invaders era' comic version of him, with the 'gee golly whiz' writing to be War Time propaganda  to inspire young men back home.  In reality, he is a season soldier in his own right, both deadly and heroic.

 It's an idea they explore pretty well in the modern comics, and also in the movies.  The movie version skips the teenage Bucky altogether, and just makes him Cap's best friend from Brooklyn.  In fact it was Bucky who was always the strong one to the weakling (but incredibly brave) Steve Rogers.

 This mini, made by the What The...miniature company fits into that pretty well.  He's got the campy costume on, but the Thompson submachine gun isn't just for show.

The model was sold as a set with the Captain I've shown earlier, see pic below.

I've got several other miniatures ready to paint up, including the rest of the nucleus that makes up the Invaders, the Human Torch, Toro, and the Sub-mariner.

I'm also slowly working on the Howling Commandos, and the first I have for that is Dum Dum Dugan.




I also will be working on some of the bad guys, cuz having no one to fight would be rather boring.  I'm going to go similar to the movie line plot, with a Red Skull inspired Hydra division being as the main villians.  I also have plans for the Super Axis, a group of super powered Nazis that match up against the heroic Invaders.


Dum Dum Dugan, getting ready for Duty

No comments:

Post a Comment